skip to content

Black Advisory Hub


This section outlines a few of the services available at the Univeristy for students needing to access welfare support. The Student Support webpage includes a lot of information and relevant links to internal and external services. 

College support

  • Pastoral support for students is an essential component of collegiate life. It is delivered in different ways across the Colleges but your College is likely to have a number of people undertaking pastoral or welfare roles, such as a Senior Tutor, Tutors, Tutorial Office staff, College Nurse, Chaplain and student (JCR/MCR) Welfare Officers. Some also have a College Counsellor and/or a Mental Health Advisor.
  • A Tutor is a member of College staff whose role is generally to provide all-around pastoral support, information, advice and guidance to students. Tutors can be approached for help with problems about study, finance, illness, friends and family or other personal circumstances. They can also refer or signpost you to other services both within Cambridge and externally. They are different to your DoS, who can be contacted for academic guidance.
  • Each College JCR and MCR will have Welfare Reps for all students as well as Liberation Reps for particular student groups. You can approach these reps for informal support as you may be more comfortable talking to a peer. However, it’s important to remember that whilst these reps have been trained, they are not Tutors, Advisors, counsellors or medical practitioners and their primary role in supporting students is to be a listening ear and to provide signposting and information, rather than giving specialist advice and guidance.


University Counselling Service (UCS)

  • Though your College Tutor, Director of Studies, nurse and chaplain are there for you, you might want to work through a hard time or some problems with someone outside of your everyday environment, and that’s where the University Counselling Service (UCS) come in.
  • The UCS is available to all students and you are more than welcome to request a BME counsellor if you’d prefer.
  • For more information visit the UCS website.


Disability Resource Centre (DRC)

  • The Disability Resource Centre (DRC) provides a confidential and accessible service for disabled students and those staff supporting them.
  • Every College has an advisor who can provide guidance, advice and support to applicants and students with a range of mental and physical disabilities and medical conditions. The DRC also has advisers within its Neurodiversity Team who support students with neurodiverse conditions (such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD and autism: find the most appropriate DRC advisor.
  • For more information on the ways in which the DRC can support you in your learning and wellbeing at Cambridge visit the DRC website.


GP and sexual health services

  • All students living in Cambridge are strongly advised to register with a local GP practice (medical practice) on arrival, rather than waiting to feel unwell. This is particularly important if you have a medical condition that requires ongoing treatment. You can find a local GP using the NHS search tool and learn more about accessing GPs as a Cambridge student on the Student Wellbing website.
  • iCASH Cambridgeshire provides integrated contraception and sexual health services across Cambridgeshire. Their LimeTree clinic on Mill Road offers a range of services from contraception to support and advice.
  • For students who are experiencing common mental health problems such as depression and anxiety disorders (including generalised anxiety disorder (GAD); social anxiety; post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); health anxiety; panic; phobias and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)), you may wish to self-refer to the NHS Psychological Wellbeing Service. However, you do not need a diagnosis to access the service and they also see people with problems such as stress, low confidence, sleep disturbance and self-esteem issues.


Independent services

  • Nightline is a listening service run by students for students. They provide confidential, anonymous, non-judgmental and non-directive support and information to Cambridge students. They are a listening rather than an advice service and will help students to talk things through. Similar initiatives, including the Samaritans, can be found on the Cambridge Students' Union website.
  • The Student Advice Service offers free, confidential and impartial advice and support to all Cambridge students - undergraduate and postgraduate - from any College or course. You can come to the Student Advice Service with any issues or problems you might experience as a student, from making friends to working relationships, from exams to intermission, and from welfare concerns to finance.


About my mental health support

"I would have loved to know that the University has BME counsellors. I only knew about that later, but it would have been great to know about the service earlier."

- second-year undergraduate student